September 17 - Martins Cove

 I had a restful night at Martin’s Cove. Next morning, I went to see the exhibits. There weren’t very many people there.  The missionaries, who serve as guides, were very good. They had all the information memorized.  However, I have found I do better just to read the exhibits and go slow by myself. I felt rushed, as though too much was being given to me at once.  Maybe because I’m tired, but it was just overwhelming.  I saw the visitor center. It was very well done and they had a nice movie that made you sad when you realize all the struggles that those emigrants endured. 

Then, there was a small museum.  It was locked  and one of the guides had a key.  She opened the door and led me through the museum, talking constantly, and again it felt rushed, like too much information all at once. I would really have enjoyed to just look at the exhibits and take my time reading the information on each one. 

At that point, my head was too full to take anymore and so I decided to leave. I only had a little over a quarter of a tank of gas so I made it for Rawlins. I filled my tank and started driving. The wind was so strong, it constantly buffeted the car and made it very difficult for driving.  And then, just as I cross the border into Nebraska, a big dust storm came up. I found a Denny’s at town, called Sydney and treated myself to a steak. After that, I went to the gas station and hunkered down in the van  

I woke up this morning about 3 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep.  That’s my usual get up time so I went in and got a shower.  Usually showers cost around $12-$17 but the lady was so nice and gave it to me for free! I drove for about an hour, then pulled over and slept for two more hours.  That seems to be my mode of operation these days

I just stopped for a Cinnabon and I’ll drive as far as I can today. It’s about 6 1/2 hours to Vonda’s house and I’m not sure I can go that far but it’s still early so who knows  

By far the way, the moon was gorgeous last night.

The Moon

Cozy in my van

The Sun in Duststorm









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

September 17 - Martins Cove

 I had a restful night at Martin’s Cove. Next morning, I went to see the exhibits. There weren’t very many people there.  The missionaries, ...