Night 5 - Amarillo, Texas!

Beautiful Sunrise Gallup, NM

 Whoah! 

I feel like I'm flying.

You know what they say about the best laid plans - good thing I'm willing to be flexible!

So.. I spent last night at the Elks Lodge in Gallup, New Mexico.  I had a FABULOUS view all to myself and a great night's sleep.

Got up and hit Starbucks to use their internet and grab a bagel and for some reason my CarPlay wasn't working. I posted a "help" notice on Facebook and about the time my friends Dean and Carol Sprague called to help me, I had just figured it out. Well, honestly, I didn't figure it out. I just did something (I have no idea WHAT) and it fixed. Hahaha!

Since breakfast was just a bagel, I decided to have a more substantial lunch. I stopped at a place called Russel's Cafe in Endee, New Mexico and had their famous meatloaf. I have to say, it was probably the best meatloaf I've ever eaten! That and a root beer and I was a happy girl


I remember Thumper's mother saying, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all," so I'm just going to say Texas has better roads than New Mexico.

Oh! And I had a CRAZY experience first thing on the road this morning leaving Gallup. There was a LOT of traffic and some wild man came up behind us doing about 100 mph (literally)!!! He wove in and out of traffic, even driving on the SHOULDER to the left of the middle lane, several times going around people on the wrong side, throwing rocks all over everyone's windshields. People were swerving to avoid him hitting them. He chipped my windshield, the jerk! I said to myself, "That guy is going to kill someone or kill himself!" 

About 3 minutes later, I passed him. He had crashed his car into a semi. The semi was just pulling over ahead of his car, which was smashed up and laying sideways on the right shoulder against a wall. I could see the guy still in the driver seat, so he apparently was wearing a seatbelt. Don't know if he was alive or not but was glad to see no other cars involved. 

The rest of the trip was uneventful and I MEAN uneventful! I'm so happy I drove Route 66 a few years ago. And now, I'm sort of over it. Every place I passed was falling down, covered in graffiti, or just plain worn out. If you plan on doing Route 66, you'd better do it fast because I don't think most of it will survive another year. I'm reconsidering my trip after Rob's house - maybe I don't need to go the way I planned.

So... tonight I'm in Amarillo treating myself to a nice hotel.

Tomorrow I plan to sleep at the Elks Lodge in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Tuesday, I will arrive at my cousin, Vonda's house in Harrisonville, Missouri. I'll spend a couple of days there visiting my cousins and seeing my mother's sister. 

Then on to my son's house in Chatsworth, Georgia. I'm not sure how long I'll stay there. We'll see. During that week, he'll be at work during the days so I can figure out a new schedule. I think my trip will be shorter than originally planned. I'm a bit worn out and thinking I can skip some of the places I thought I wanted to visit. Home is looking pretty darned good! But... I know me, and that can change after a good rest. So stay tuned.

Signing off. 

There's a BATHTUB here!

Happy Trails!

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...