Night 3 - Winslow, AZ

Another LONG day trying to beat the heat. 

I woke up around 3:30 am and got a shower at the Flying J. $16.

Then jumped in the van and headed to Kingman, Arizona, where I went to the Visitor's Center. I'd been there before so it was a short stop. I took some cool photo-booth photos but it appears I've lost them, which is a bummer. Hoping I can find them somewhere in the van.

After Kingman, I followed Old Route 66 and realized it's really returning to the earth. There's just not much to see. All the sites are crumbling. Even from just 2 years ago when I drove this route.  Twin Arrow is now One Arrow...

I stopped at Hackaberry's for a Route 66 Root Beer.

Then I headed to Seligman. The road is really beaten up and even when I got off 66 and onto 40, it was rough road. That combined with Arizona's 75 mph speed limit made for a bumpy day.

I always wanted to eat at the RoadKill Cafe.
Now I have.
Thank Goodness, I don't need to EVER do it again! ::laughing:: 


It looked like Road Kill.
Didn't taste too bad, but I only ate the meat.
The rest ... well, I passed.



From there I went to Flagstaff, thinking I'd boondock.
But the road into the place I'd tagged was meant for 
a 4 wheel drive and I was afraid of getting stuck.

I then decided I was SO tired, 
I needed to get a hotel.
I got on Booking.com and rented what was advertised
as a very clean, "natural" hotel.
Well... I walked into the room and my eyes started swelling,
and I couldn't breathe.
They'd mopped the floor with FABULOSO!!!
If you've never smelled that stuff, 
it'll bring tears to your eyes.

The housekeeping lady came in and 
'washed the floor with only water,'
which meant
she rinsed out the Fabuloso mop,
put it into water,
then proceeded to spread the Fabuloso
all around the floor again
with the same mop.
After she left,
I used a towel and tried to get it up.
This was the result after wringing out the towel twice.
The floor was filthy.

I requested a refund
and left.

I got gas, and got back on 40 
and drove to Winslow, Arizona
where I am now camped out in the RV lot
for the Elk's Club.

This heat wave
 has pushed me ahead 5 full days,
and my reservation in Tucumcari 
is not until NEXT Friday.
So I need to get online tomorrow
and figure out where to spend a few days camping.
I've done the Grand Canyon,
plus it's behind me now.
But I do see a few options to look at.

Well that's it.
While I try to be positive,
I have to admit that tonight
I'm exhausted and feeling down.
I'm sure a good night's sleep will fix it.

More later,
Happy Trails,
Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...