Night 2 - Tehachapi, California

Well, to say it's already been an adventure
would be an understatement.

 After changing all my plans because of SNOW
on the Northern route,
I'm being chased by a FREAK HEAT WAVE
on the Southern route!

I had plans to stay with my mom's friend
in Hanford, California tonight,
but upon checking the weather,
discovered there was a freak heat wave pushing through
and the temperatures there would be in the 90's!!  

I'm carrying my son's prized guitar
and a 'hatch-kitchen' full of food that wouldn't survive
being shut up in the van while I lounged in the air conditioning . . .
so I decided to drive further up the trail.

I went to the Cemetery in Armona
and put some of mom's ashes 
with her mom and dad. 
She had asked me to do that, 
so I am happy to have been able to do it.

Then I headed to Bakersfield,
and up the hill.
  
I stopped for the night at a Flying J in Techachapi
because it's about 20 degrees cooler here tonight.
It won't be comfortable but it won't be unbearable.
By 8 pm it will cool down into the low 60's. 

I am pretty sure I can pay for a shower here,
so that will be nice!

I plan on getting up around 4 am and heading to Flagstaff,
where it will also be a bit cooler.
Hopefully, by then, I'll be ahead of the heat wave.
I may hunker down in Flagstaff for a couple of days
before heading to Holbrook, since I'm ahead of schedule anyway.


 I'll just have to play it by ear.
A few days camping in the pines actually sounds nice. 
I don't have any reservations anywhere until Sunday,
May 5 at Tucumcari - so I have some flexibility.

That's all for now.
Want to save my Hot Spot. 

Happy Trails!

Annie


3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your massive adventure ! Be safe! Love you, my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's turning out not to be so massive, but I'm sure enjoying it anyway! Thanks!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...