Changing plans


 As always, fate steps in and reminds us that nothing is set in stone (Pardon the pun, son.)

So, in January I ordered a new headstone from Santa Barbara Monument Company for my mother's grave at the cemetery in Cayucos, California, where her husband and son were buried.  I paid up front and it wasn't inexpensive, but I thought it was very pretty.

Since then, I have called and called to see if the stone was finished and delivered to the cemetery. 

Two and a half weeks ago, I called again, asking WHEN the stone would be delivered. I planned on visiting mom's grave with a few friends and taking flowers, then heading down the coast from there to start my backwards Route 66 trip. He told me, "It's on the truck right now and we're delivering it today!"

"Great," I thought.

Well, yesterday I called the cemetery to be SURE the stone had been placed only to find out it still had not been delivered!!!

Upon calling the Monument company, I was told, 'I don't know WHY it didn't get delivered but I promise it will get there tomorrow."

Well, now it's only 4 days until I was going to visit the gravesite, and doesn't look like there will be enough time for the cemetery to schedule the placing. They have to remove an old gravestone as well as placing the new one.

So, I'm changing my plans. I am going to put off visiting Cayucos until I leave for the desert in the Autumn. That means I won't be staying in the Tipi Motel in San Bernardino (bummer) but I'll also save $$$$. Instead, I'll head straight to Barstow and Calico Ghost Town and pick up Route 66 there. It also gives me an extra day or two in the Painted Desert. 

These days, it pays to be flexible...

See you on the road,

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...