Changed My Plan - Doing it Backwards

I worked for two days on my van trip plan, only to call Martin's Cove for a camping reservation and found out there were still FEET of snow on the ground. Brrrrrr!

So I decided I'd better start in the south and come home on the northern route in June.  I spent another couple of days making changes and was grateful I was able to change all of my motel/hotel reservations fairly simply.  

I've joined the Elk's Lodge so I'm able to stay in their lot occasionally, which will help with lodging costs. I went to my orientation last night and had a great time. Wonderful group of new friends!

Here is my current plan:

Joe will be home around the 19th or 20th so I won't have to leave the house empty.

I'll take off around the 27th. 

I'll head down to Hanford first to put some of mom's ashes with her parents' graves, see the Portuguese exhibit at the museum there, and visit a friend or two. Then over to Cayucos to take flowers and see the new headstone I bought for mom and Ken. The fellow who made it assured me it would be set by then.

From Cayucos I'll head down to Santa Monica to see the End of the Trail Route 66 sign. Since I'm going backwards, I want to start at the very end. 

From there I'll head to San Bernardino and the Wigwam Hotel. I've always wanted to sleep in one of those wigwam hotels! When I was younger, Lance and I bought an 18 foot tipi and loved camping in it. This should bring back some memories!

From San Bernardino I'll follow Old Route 66 all the way to Springfield, Missouri, where I'll take a detour to visit my cousins who live there. 

Then down to Georgia to visit my son for a few days. 

Then to Annapolis to visit my grandson.

From there, I'll head up to Vermont, New York to visit some LDS sites. I'll stop for a night at Niagra Falls. Then to Chicago and down Route 66 back to where I left off at Springfield. 

From there, I'll shoot up to Nauvoo and see Winter Quarters, Martin's Cove, and Salt Lake City. Then back home. 

I figure the trip will take about 6 or 7 weeks. 

For those who'd like to follow me, just save the blog address and check in every few days. I don't believe Blogger still notifies you when I make a new post - which is annoying as heck - but I don't have time to change platforms.  Can someone who is following please let me know? Thanks.

Happy Trails!

Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...