New Van Bed!

For my 69th birthday, Joe built a bed in my new van!

I'm SO happy!
Now I can escape every now and then ~
~ Hooray!

Here are photos of the process:

First, a piece of plywood over the carpet makes the floor
Cost was about $40.

Scraps of 2 x 2 from a construction site
Cost: FREE

I did buy 3 new bins. My old ones were shot.
These are deeper so I can pack more clothes.
Got these at Walmart on sale for $8 each = $24

Joe started by making the leg/braces out of 2 x 2

A closer look at the finished leg/braces

I cut out the old seat belts in the back
Haven't yet figure out how to remove this piece.

Next, Joe measured to be sure the leg/braces
were wide enough. And I wanted about an inch space at the top.
I don't use lids on the bins - 
I have found it easier just to slide them in and out
and let the bed be the lid.


Perfect fit!

Screwing the braces/legs to the plywood floor





All four braces/legs are in. 
The last section holds more than one bin.

Next, piecing the top.
We are just using scrap plywood,
but you COULD buy a whole piece.
It's just awful expensive right now.

I asked Joe to round the corner near the passenger seat.
In the future, I will be turning that passenger seat around,
but right now I need it for my mom to sit in.


Almost done!

Putting in the last piece.

There is a space in the front where Joe will put wood,
to make the floor completely flat.
I will go to Goodwill, nab some old clean yoga mats,
and cut them to fit. Then, I put a rug on top.
This gives me a LOT of insulation.
I really never got cold in my other van,
and this is the way I did the floor.


Here I am trying out my bed.
Bins are underneath.
Joe is working on filling in that little front piece.

I'm sooooo happy!


Come back in a few days to see how I organize the space.

Next month, I'm going to pay Joe to put in my kitchen.
It will be in the hatchback, just like my other van,
with a few small changes.

Life is so good!
Annie

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...