Silver City

In early March, I decided to buy the yearly pass for New Mexico and take a little trip.  My plan was to drive across southern New Mexico, then up to old Route 66, and back around on the northside of the state.

One of my first stops was Silver City. Silver City was established in 1870 as a Spanish settlement. It was then called La Ciénaga de San Vicente. In a mining area noted for silver, gold, copper, lead, and zinc, it was founded in 1876 as Silver City and became quite a boom town during the 1880's. 

I took a walk around the town and saw a lot of cool artwork. I'd like to come back here sometime and explore a bit more.








There was a paper in a window that I really liked.
It read:

Happiness

I asked professors who teach the meaning of life 
to tell me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who 
boss the work of thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile
as though I was trying to fool with them.
And then one Sunday afternoon
I wandered out along the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees
with their women and children and a ket of beer
and an accordian.

~ Carl Sandburg 1876 -1909 



I blacktopped for the night at the visitor's center.
My van is VERY stealthy,
and nobody bothered me.


I really enjoyed seeing the Billy the Kid Homesite.
I think I could live quite happily in a little cabin like this one!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...