Gila Hot Springs and Cliff Dwellings

My next stop was the Gila Cliff Dwellings.

The lady at the Info desk had told me this was a 2 hour drive, but it wasn't.  It was slow going on very narrow, winding roads, and not for the faint of heart. However, it was a beautiful drive, and I much enjoyed it. 

On the way up, I passed by the Gila Hotsprings. I wanted to stay, but it was still pretty cold at night, around 17 degrees, so I decided to move on. It was a beautiful site, however. The owner has a goat farm that you drive through to get to the camping sites, which are right at the springs.  This would be a very sweet sweet stop in better weather.

You know you're getting near when you see this unusual outcrop from the road:






The tubs were VERY clean and beautiful:

Whimsical fountain 





Once at the Cliff Dwellings, I had free admission with my National Park Pass. 

You can find the history of the place online. Here is what the website states:  For thousands of years, groups of nomadic people used the caves of the Gila River as temporary shelter. In the late 1200's, people of the Mogollon Culture decided it would be a good place to call home. They built rooms, crafted pottery and raised children in the cliff dwellings for about twenty years. Then the Mogollon moved on, leaving the walls for us as a glimpse into the past.

The walk to the Cliff Dwellings was pretty easy, but if you aren't in shape, take walking sticks. I was told by another visitor that it was easiest to go UP by taking the trail to the RIGHT after crossing the bridge and traveling counter-clockwise. This was a good move.

Here are some photos. 








 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...