Baking in your Van Without an Oven

Next stop after White Sands was Carlsbad Caverns.  I arrived in Carlsbad and spent the night in the Walmart parking lot, with the intention of being first in line at the caverns next morning.

While parked, I decided I wanted to try some of the yummy Tom & Pam Runyan Ranches Cherry Preserves I bought at a roadside stand.


Biscuits sounded like just the deal.
No oven?
No problem!

I mixed up a small amount of biscuit dough. 
I don't measure - having made biscuits all my life,
but it probably was something like this:
1 cup flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp butter (or oil)
Milk or yogurt

I mix the dry ingredients together.
Add the butter or oil and cut it in (I use my fingers) until it's like sand.
Add enough milk or yogurt to make a nice thick dough.
DO NOT STIR A LONG TIME or they'll be tough.
Mix JUST enough to get them mixed.
Then knead only 2/3 times.

I gently pull and flatten out the dough if I don't want to mess with rolling pin.


Put it in a hot pan and cover.

Anything metal that will hold in the hot air will make an "oven" and will do.
In my case, I used my heavy metal mortar,
finding it to be just the right size!


Check it occasionally so it doesn't burn on the bottom.
When it's brown on one side, 
turn it over and cover again:


Soon you have a nice tender hot biscuit!
YUM!


Slather on your favorite topping and eat it!



Just so you know, 
I've used this method many many times for baking without an oven.
I used to own 20 acres on the north fork of the American River.
I'd bake biscuits, cookies, 
and even a pineapple upside down cake
directly on a skillet on a wood fire,
and using my gold pan 
propped up with a stick
to make the "oven."

It works great,
you just have to watch your heat
and the item you're cooking more closely.

Bon (Van) Appetit!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...