Day 16 Nauvoo

 

Well, I made it to Nauvoo, just in time to find out there were tornado warnings ahead of me.  This has been an interesting trip!  :::laughing::: I've learned a LOT.

Nauvoo is hot and muggy and not a lot is open. No real restaurants and the one sandwich shop had a very long line and only served burgers and bits. So I decided to just eat on my own.

No grocery store here. I went to Dollar General and got some bologna and root beer and that's dinner.  Honestly, I'm just ready to be home. I'm going to spend the night here, and head out early in the morning and am hoping to make it just past Lincoln, Nebraska tomorrow.  I'm going to drive like a bat out of hell to get home. 

No more sightseeing. I had plans to stop at other LDS stops, but have decided I don't need to. I just need to get home.

The campsite here is pretty and it's quiet. 

If it cools down it should be a peaceful night.
There is a shower, which is a plus.

While driving on these crazy roads with no turnouts and no place to stop, I got an emergency phone call from Spain. My pilgrims were having trouble in Roncesvalles. Instead of the Municipal Albergue, where I generally put my group, I booked (and paid for) rooms in La Posada.  Apparently, they couldn't find my reservation, which was made back in December/January and paid for. 

The poor group leader was probably tired and frazzled, as can be understood. She is doing a great job. I remember my first time. It was overwhelming. But she's smart and she's done the trip before and she speaks Spanish, so all should go well the rest of the trip. 

Anyway, I booked the group a triple and a quad at La Posada, one of the nicest hotels in the compound, which means 3 and 4 to a room which should be AWESOME compared to staying in the municipal albergue with 150 pilgrims. I guess some of them were disappointed they didn't have a private room, though I was clear on the hotel list and on the Facebook page. It is a pilgimage, after all - aren't you supposed to suffer by definition? With no bags to carry and private lodgings booked all the way, the rest of the trip will hopefully make them happy again. Hopefully, they'll be pleased with the rest of the lodgings.  

Sometimes it just feels like for the $1/hour you make planning and planning and working on a trip like this, you just can't please people. It can be disheartening. 

Well, that's all the news. I've had a heat wave, floods, and now I'm dodging tornadoes. Lots to tell my great grandchildren!

Stay safe!

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...