Day 15 - Heading Home

 Today is Thursday May 11 and I packed up and headed West this morning after breakfast with Joe and Rob. 

Rob brought home "Gas Station Chicken" last night for dinner. He and Joe had been raving about it all week and I wonder if this is the same "Gas Station Chicken" that our friend Tony has been talking about? It was pretty darned good!

It was sad to leave after only a week, but I'm homesick and ready to be in my own bed. I also miss my garden and my house. I'm hoping we can fly Rob out sometime before Christmas to spend a weekend with the family. I sure do miss him. But I had a great time hanging out with him and Joe and listening to them play music. Joe and I spent an hour last night reminiscing about our Island days, laughing. It was a good time. I met Rob's new girlfriend, Karylynn - she's very nice.

Today I drove about 5 hours to a campground on the other side of Paducah, called Shawnee Forest Campground. ($40/night) There is a shower here, which will be nice for morning.

The drive was hard today between Chatworth and Nashville. It rained so hard I couldn't see and there is (literally) no place to pull over on those Tennessee and Georgia highways. Nothing resembling a pullout or a rest area. It's crazy. The roads just go on forever and ever. Passing Nashville was horrible - there was a car accident which held up traffic - and the traffic was thick and slow. I was happy to get around it. The rest of the way wasn't too bad but by then I was pooped so was happy to finally pull into my campground. 



It's muggy and hot this afternoon, but there's a breeze and I found a place in partial shade. I hope it stays in the shade all afternoon. I'm thinking it will cool down tonight enough to get some sleep. I do have a small chargeable fan in case it doesn't. 

Tomorrow I drive to Nauvoo, where I'll camp for two nights. I called to make reservations but it was too late. However, the lady said there were pull-in spots for $20 with hookups and if I leave early I'll get there early afternoon and should be ok. It's about another 5 hour drive. 

I miss Rob already. 

I wish he lived closer.

How did the pioneers do it... leave their families forever ?

I remember when I moved to the islands, my grandfather just mourned. He said, "I'll never see those little boys again!"

But he did... and I'm hoping at some point, Rob will live close again.

Time will tell.

That's all for now,

Happy to be heading home.

Love,

Annie


2 comments:

  1. I’m so glad you got to go see them! I want to hear all about it when you get home. Travel safe Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth.Read the next post. I'm beelining it home. No more stops for touristing. Joe said there were tornado warnings on the route I was going to take, so I'm changing it - this has been one freaking crazy trip! Come visit us!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...