Maiden Voyage

After selling my Toyota Sienna a year and a half ago, I've been chomping at the bit to buy another van. I finally found one and had a bed built into it. The kitchen will be done next month!

I took my new-to-me van for its maiden voyage 2 weekends ago. It was WONDERFUL!

First I went East to a place called Detroit, Oregon. The campgrounds were chosen by a friend, and it ended up being in the middle of the big heat wave. My spot was shady but probably 102 degrees in the shade, so nights weren't pleasant. For reasons I won't explain here, in order to reserve a spot for my friends, the campground host insisted I park my van on their spot, which was right next to the river, but had absolutely no shade at all.  That meant the inside of my van was registering (literally) 120 degrees!!!

In the end, I felt I was getting heat stroke, 
and made the decision to go WEST to the Oregon Coast.
 GOOD decision!

The rest of the trip was great!
At night, 
I parked on Joe's lot at Newport, Oregon.

During the days, I drove down to the beach,
and parked there,
with my door open.
I slept.
I read.
I watched the tourists
and the sea.
I took walks on the beach.
I cooked there.






It made me remember how much 
I miss living out of my van.

I had a funny experience.
A lady peeked in at my door and asked,
"Are you ok?"
I said, "What?"
She said, "Are you ok? Do you need money? Are you homeless?"


I was so taken aback by her question
that I started laughing.

I said, "No! I'm on vacation!"

She scurried away,
and then I felt guilty.
I thought of a million things I should have said to her.
Things like, "Thank you for caring!"

I sent a quiet prayer off into the Universe
to thank her.
I'm sorry I didn't do it in person,
but it just struck me funny.
I mean, 
do I look homeless?
My van is spotless.
I'm clean.
My hair was done.
I had on earrings.

Anyway, I felt bad for days,
but finally forgave myself.

All in all it was a FANTASTIC trip,
and I got a lot of rest.

I'm taking off in the van again this weekend.
I'm heading to Portland,
to visit my sons and grandchildren,
and to just hang out.
Then Monday, 
I take the van to my mechanic in Portland.
My fob stopped working.
I checked the battery,
and that wasn't the issue.
I checked the fuses.
Nope,
The inside lights also are not working,
so I suspect maybe something in the wiring. 
Hopefully it won't be an expensive fix

I hope to get more and more weekends away.
I really REALLY miss van life.
I miss the FREEDOM,
the spontaneity,
and the ease of living.

See you on the road!
Annie





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...