Route 66 - Kingman to Grand Canyon Stop

When the temperature reached 112 degrees in Desert Hot Springs,
I knew I needed to get out for a few days.

I decided to continue my trip on Route 66 
which I'd begun in the Springtime.

I got a late start and didn't arrive in Kingman
until after dark.
I found a good boondocking spot for the night.
This was the view next morning:

A wonderful sunrise!


In case anyone is interested, 
the GPS coordinates for this spot are:  
35.205741, -114.096583

There were maybe 3 other cars and vans here.
I felt safe.
There was a brick toilet building, but I didn't go into it.
I would definitely stay here again.
At first light, I made myself some coffee,
and after my yogurt and strawberry breakfast, 
I headed to town.


Even though I'd stopped in Kingman earlier this Spring, 
I wanted to stop again and see the Mojave Museum, 
which I missed last year.


 I'm really happy that I stopped there. 
It's a wonderful museum with a lot to see about the local native tribes, 
as well as Route 66. 
A ticket was $3 and covered all 3 museums in Kingman. 

Here are some photos from that museum.



These plates of pottery went on to tell the entire tale of the tribes in the area. I won't ruin the surprise for you, but definitely worth seeing!
Plants used for dye in the Indian blankets
Brands used before 1895
Barbed wire samples. I come from a farming family so I found this fascinating!
A rifle left in a tree years ago, and the tree grew around it. We have one of these at the Forestry Center in Portland, Oregon. I guess it wasn't an uncommon practice to leave your rifle behind?



I remember gas tanks like this one at my grandfather's Texaco station in Hanford!
There was also an entire wall of portraits of every 
American president and his wife.  



I made a quick stop to pick up a free map at the Visitor Center next door.
They gave me a new passport! I had one from Spring, but had left it at home.  I guess you can get stamps in this at each town along the route, then mail it in for a certificate. I probably won't do it, but the passport is a nice souvenir.



After visiting Kingman, I headed up old Route 66 toward Williams. I stopped in all the small towns along the way and took in the sights.  I was getting hungry for lunch and began looking for food.

First thing I saw was Giganicus Headicus!  I thought about stopping here for lunch, but after seeing their menu, decided to go a bit further.



Hackberry was the next town, and there I found the General Store.
It was BUSTLING with tourists!

This place was crazy busy!
I managed to get one photo without tourists.
The front was covered with stickers and roadmaps. Check out the old CocaCola cooler!
This cat was catching some shade near the garage

An old soda fountain

Everywhere you looked was Route 66 "stuff."
I've used a washing machine like this one, and an outhouse too!
This woman was singing songs from the 60's and 70's outside... LOUDLY!
After checking it out, I bought myself a nice cold ice cream
and I hit the road again.

I was really getting hungry now.
I passed through Seligman, 
and thought I'd stop at the Snow Cap Drive In.
But holy moly, it was PACKED with tourists,
so I just took a good look at it 
and all the other old places in the guidebook,
and kept driving.

I headed for Peach Springs, and Grand Canyon Caverns.
I wasn't too interested in going down 1000 feet
to see the caverns, 
but I was thinking this might be a good place to get some food.


I took one look at their menu,
and I walked out.
They wanted $14.99 for a HAMBURGER!
Then another $2.50 for a soda.
I just couldn't bring myself to do it,
no matter how hungry I was.
I decided if I was going to spend $16
I was gonna get a STEAK!

And I'm glad I waited!
I soon arrived in Williams,
and headed straight for Rod's Steak House
where I had a wonderful, scrumptious,
big old fat steak
and potato salad
for just about the same money that wimpy hamburger 
would have been!
Definitely worth eating at this place!

The menu for lunch was quite reasonable for a tourist town.
Stained Glass Window

This was one of the best steaks I've ever had - really good!

After lunch, 
I decided to take the road 
up to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon,
since I hadn't been there in 30 years.

Stay Tuned,
Annie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...