Grand Canyon South Rim - 2018

Leaving Williams, I headed up the road to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.
I arrived late afternoon and stopped at the visitor's center to get an idea where to park for the night.  I got in free with my Federal Senior Pass. 
That thing sure has paid for itself!

The nice lady at the Visitor Center told me I could camp at any of the dispersed camping areas right outside the park. There were many state roads I saw as I drove in, and any of those were fair game for camping.

I headed back out of the park and though it was pretty full, I managed to find a nice spot away from the dusty main road where I spent a very peaceful night under a million-starred sky!

My back yard this night was beautiful!

My iPhone just can't capture the moon and stars. It was breathtaking.
Next morning, I was awake at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep.
I had read some of the handouts from the visitor's center,
and learned that there are free shuttles with stops all over the park,
but that most people begin by parking AT the visitor center, 
and that lot fills up early!

So, I quietly drove out to the main road, keeping my lights low as I passed other camps, and headed to the Visitor's Center.  There, I caught another few hours sleep and at first light, headed across the street to STARBUCKS!

I met some nice folks in the Starbucks lot who were also earlybirds and waiting for their morning coffee and for Starbucks to open.  

Once I had coffee, I rode that shuttle to a few stops and walked the southern rim trail. 

I don't know if all these photos will load, but the Grand Canyon is absolutely a national treasure!  The views were stunning!  



Don't know if you can see the girls out on the ledge - illegally - Darwin at his best!









After hiking the rim,
I wanted to grab a shower,
so I found showers at 
the Camper Services Building at the entrance to Mather Campground. 
8 am – 6 pm core hours, last laundry wash 4:45 pm. 
The showers were $2 for 8 minutes, 
and the water was lovely and hot! 
Take quarters!

Once I had my shower, I headed toward Flagstaff. 
I didn't want to drive all the way back to Route 66, 
so I turned East on Hwy 64 inside the park.
It was a smart move, because on the way out, I passed many, many turnouts,
all with spectacular views of the canyons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...