Get Your Kicks on Route 66!



I'm feeling the call of the road again after being in a house for a week!

One of the items on my bucket list is to do Route 66 through Arizona and New Mexico, and so I spent time today doing some research.  The temperature is 10-20 degrees cooler in northern Arizona and New Mexico. If I begin by driving up to Kingman, doing Route 66 backwards I would hit the following towns:

Hackberry
Valentine
Crozier
Trusxton
Peach Springs
Grand Canyon Cavern (camping here)
Seligman
Jerome Ghost Town
Grand Canyon National Park
Walnut Canyon National Monument (camping here)
Williams (camping here)
Meteor Crater
Winslow (camping here)
Holbrook
Painted Desert and Petrified Forest


These may not be in perfect order, and those are just the camping spots I've explored. By looking at freecampsites.net, I can see places to boondock all along the route, at least through Arizona.

In New Mexico, I could buy the annual pass, or maybe just see what I could find in the way of camping. I'll be doing the route backwards, so it's been interesting researching.

Looks like I will want to stop in the following towns:

Shiprock and Four Corners:  Include Salmon Ruins, Aztec Natioal Monument, Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde National Park, Hovenweep National Monument, and Canyon de Chelly.

Gallup and Red Rock State Park
Fort Wingate
The Continental Divide
Thoreau
Milan-Bluewater - Prewitt
Grants
San Fidel - McCarty's
Cubero
Budville
Laguna
Isleta and Los Lunas
Albuquerque
Tinkertown
Moriarty
Clines Corners
Jemez Mountain Trail National Historic and Scenic Byway
Santa Fe and possibly Taos
Pecos National Historic Park
Cuervo and Tucumcari





Once I crossed New Mexico the weather should be cooling down. I can drop down and come back across Southern New Mexico and Arizona, back to Desert Hot Springs and be here in time for the holidays and WRTR.

So that's my loose plan for now.
I have to stay here to accept a few packages and get my van in order for the trip.
I need to decide what art supplies I'll carry and what clothes I'll need.
But I expect to be on the road within a few days.

Let me know if you feel like coming along. Company might be nice.

Stay tuned and feel free to comment below if you have advice about things not to miss or places to camp!

Happy Trails!
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...