Bath Time in the Van

Several people have asked how I take a bath in the van so I thought I'd do a quick blog and talk about it.

I learned to take a bath in a washtub years ago when I'd go camping with my grandparents.  Now I can do it in a few short minutes!

First, you will need a washtub of some type. Mine is an old cast aluminum washpan, clad in porcelain. Looks like this:


I love this pan because it can go directly on the fire to heat up the water. I have been saving the melted ice from my ice chest for bathing while here in the desert, since water is at such a premium. I just empty it into this pan, then stick it on the coleman stove to heat up.

While I wait for the water to heat, I get my towel and washcloth and soap ready. I use a Melaleuca Original Shampoo for both my hair and body.

Once the water is hot enough, I wash my hair first.  I lean over the pan and use a cup to dip water over my hair, catching the water in the pan. Then I apply the shampoo using as little as possible.  I pour a couple of cupfuls of water over my head and do NOT catch that water in the pan - just do it over the ground.  Then I finish rinsing letting the soapy water go into the pan.

Next, I move the pan into my van and set it on the floor.

Go inside and undress.

Start at the top and work down.

Face and neck
Arms, chest, belly and back

Then I squat over the soap water and wash my genitals.

Next I do legs and finally feet.



Once I'm dressed, I take the water outside and I wash my car down with it!
I learned this from my full-timing friend, Karylee!
Keeping your van clean keeps you from looking like a vagrant, for one.
It also keeps the dust from flying in every time you open a door!


The water gets poured on a bush or tree, and I'm done!

Every week or so, I take a full shower, 
either in my own shower tent with my battery operated immersible shower, 
or I pay for a shower in town ($8 in Quartzsite or $7 
if you get a 10-shower punchcard).

Yesterday, I set up my office and got all of my reservations for my upcoming Camino trip in order.  Do you like my office view?


My neighbor kindly let me use his generator to charge my computer.
I am hoping my new solar suitcase arrives today so I can do my own charging.

Yesterday I went to get an orange out of my fruit/veggie bag, which I had hanging high on a tree, and found out I'd had a visitor!
A coyote had tried to gnaw his way into the bag.
He actually got through the mesh and took some chunks out of one of my potatoes.  Danged critter!  That was a new bag!


I'm waiting for my friend Merle to show up and hoping to make a trip down to Algadones soon. I need to see the dermatologist and get some new glasses.

The weather will be in the 80's here today so it's time to get off here,
have some breakfast, and find some shade.

Have a great day!
Annie





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...