Locking Gas Cap? Not!

So the neighborhood where I own a home in Portland, Oregon has a gmail thread where we share information about what's going on - good and bad - and in the past few years, the petty crime rate has really done an upswing. Car break-ins, house break-ins, mail and packages stolen off the front porch, strange people in back yards, siphoned gas, etc.  Last week they held a meeting and came up with ideas to thwart crime, and one of the things they suggested was that we buy a locking gas cap.

So I did.

I bought this Stant 10504 Locking Fuel Cap and I put it on my van.

This morning I needed to get gas. So I used the key that came with the locking gas cap and guess what? The cap wouldn't come off. I read and re-read the instructions. I tried both keys. I had my ex, Joe, try the keys.

The cap would not come off.

I called Amazon, who gave me the number for Stant's customer service.

I called Stant's Customer service, and they connected me with tech support.

Tech support listened to my story then told me to get a pair of channel locks, grap the handle of the Fuel Cap, and pull downwards.

With very little pressure, the whole damned front of the "locking" cap popped off.

All I then had to do was twist off the rest.

And THAT is supposed to thwart a gasoline thief?

What a joke!

My advice is don't waste your money.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - Got your blog address from the facebook group. I was the one asking fro thoughts about using a minivan. I read every post, since I am researching doing a similar adventure. Very similar in fact, though I am east coast and the desert southwest is not a target destination. The other pieces on motivation, van build, etc. are similar though. Anyhow, please keep posting. I am learning a lot an appreciate your sharing your findings and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...