Keeping Warm in the Desert



Boondocking in the desert during the winter can be a wonderful experience. For the most part, the days are sunny and beautiful and warm.  However, once the sun sets, the temperatures drop and nights can be quite chilly.  Here are some of the ways I stay warm.

For cold days, the key is to LAYER your clothes. A good pair of long-johns under some fleece will keep the wind off you. Cuddleduds are a good brand of long underwear and all you need is one or two pair. As far as fleece, I just ordered two pair of fleece pants for this winter's vanning and I'm in love with them both.

These are the THICKEST, warmest fleece pants I've ever owned. They will not win you a fashion contest, but who the heck cares in the desert? They will hold up and keep off the chilly wind.  They are roomy and comfortable. I've gained quite a bit of weight this year and so at 5'3" and 165, I ordered an XL. They are loose enough to be comfie but don't fall off. They have an elastic waist. I have to turn up the hem when I have time because they are a few inches too long. 
Here is a link:


I also ordered a pair of these black fleece pants for times I wanted to "dress up" a bit. They are also very thick and warm, but have narrower legs so I don't look like a hobbit in them.

Again I ordered an XL and they fit comfortably. 
I don't know if clothes are running smaller these days
or if I'm just getting big as a barn in my old age,
but it hurts my heart to have to order an XL.
I will not have to hem these, as the cuffs are narrow 
and will stay above my shoes.




I ordered two tops.
This fleece tunic top is roomy, plush, and warm!
I'm in love with it.
I again ordered an XL.
I probably could have easily gotten by with a L,
but I wanted to be able to layer under it.




I have a heavy denim skirt that I'll sometimes put over my fleece pants if it's super cold. That really keeps my legs warm. I bought it at Goodwill for $6.99.

I went to Goodwill last year and found a really good DOWN jacket to wear over everything if it's REALLY chilly.  I also have a good wool hat to cover my head outside.  For inside the van and sleeping, I have a fleece beanie that is really comfie but warm.  Something like this one:


When it's super cold outside, I wear fleece lined mukluks like these.  The rest of the time, I'm in sandals or running shoes.


To keep warm at night, I went to Goodwill and bought a down comforter. It cost me $12 and was for a queen sized bed.  I doubled it and put it into a twin sized duvet - also purchased at Goodwill for $6.  With this double down blanket, it's lightweight and warm as heck! I've slept in 20 degree weather and kept toasty!  

You can find down comforters on Amazon for under $50. If you buy a large one and double it, they're awesome!  


At night I do not sleep in my clothes. I change into warm flannel pajamas. 
I wear my beanie.
If it's super cold, I wear wool socks to bed.
And if it's SUPER SUPER cold, which is rare, I'll wear gloves.

I do not run my heater except in the early mornings when I first get up.
In the desert there's not much to do once the sun goes down, 
so I usually hit the bed early and read, then sleep.
That way I'm up before sunrise and can make my coffee and watch the spectacular colors as the sun comes up.

I have a Buddy Heater and it keeps me really warm. It runs on a small propane tank I bought just for the heater. I turn it on when I get up and run it for 5 minutes and the van is nice and warm. I may turn it off and on several times before the sun comes up, ALWAYS leaving a front window cracked at least 1/2 inch.  I NEVER sleep with the heater running... NEVER.  Each year, there are people who die because they fell asleep with the heat running and were killed by the carbon monoxide.  Don't do it. Just don't.


The buddy heater is very inexpensive to use if you don't run it continuously.
Sometimes if I want to be outside to watch the sunrise, I'll sit on the edge of my open van door, take it out with me and keep it near my legs. You can use small green canisters for it, and I've tried both, but prefer the small propane tank, which lasts longer and is cheaper to use.

Once the sun is up, the desert warms up quickly. Unless a storm rolls in, you're likely to have beautiful blue skies and sunshine! And then you can take those layers off and wear shorts!

All the clothes I take in my van fit in two bins under my bed. 
I change underwear daily but might wear the same outer wear for up to a week.

And that's it. 
Keeping warm isn't so difficult.

Right now I'm in Portland, Oregon and the wind is so cold it cuts through you.
I've NEVER experienced this cold in Quartzsite. 
Even on the coldest days in the desert, it's warmer there.
So don't worry.
Just do a bit of preparation and you'll be fine.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice! I used to live in the dry cold of Alaska, as I read all the clothes you layer it made me think of living up north and I kept thinking is it really THAT cold out there. I get it though... super cold in the desert when the sun is down and nothing around to hold the heat. Thanks again, I've got layers, ready to desert....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. Once Annie has read it, it will be posted.

Day 19 Lava Hot Springs, Idaho

A beautiful sunrise this morning. After a wild night, I hit the road about 4 am. It was still sprinkling lightly but nothing compared to the...